The 2010 General Assembly of the Reformed Presbyterian Church General Assembly does hereby adopt the following position concerning the unorthodox eschatological doctrine of Full Preterism, Hyper-preterism, or any other Eschatological System promoting any one or all of the following errors which are contrary to the Holy Scriptures and our Church’s Confessional Standards.
- That there is no end to history in which Christ completes His victory over sin and death. [1 Corinthians 15:22-26; John 6:40, 44, 54; 11:24; 2 Peter 3:12-13 and the Westminster Standards Chapter 8, WCF; LC # 45; SC # 26]; or
- That Christ does not have (or retain) a physical body consequent upon His resurrection from death [1 Corinthians 15:3-8; John 20:25-28; Romans 8:34 and the Westminster Standards Chapter 8; LC # 36–42, 55; SC #21-23]; or
- That there is no physical Resurrection of the bodies of believers and non-believers at the consummation of history [John 5:21, 28-29; Romans 8:22-23; Philippians 3:21 and the Westminster Standards Chapter 32 WCF; LC #84–87; SC # 37]; or
- That the Second Coming of our Lord Jesus Christ is already past and fulfilled (AD70) therefore denying a physical visible return of Christ at the end of history [Acts 1:8-11; 2 Thessalonians 1:7-10; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-17 and the Westminster Standards Chapter 8; 32; 33 WCF; LC #53]; or
- That there is no future Final Judgment of all men [Matthew 13:36-43; John 5:28-29; Acts 17:31; 2 Peter 2:4-9 and the Westminster Standards Chapter 33 WCF; LC # 88, 89, 90]; or
- That the sacraments (ordinances) of the church no longer exist for this generation, that the institutional visible Church does not exist, refusing to recognize her officers, authority, and membership [Matthew 28:19; 1 Corinthians 11:25-26 and the Westminster Standards Chapter 27, 28, 29 WCF; LC # 162-177; SC # 91-96]; or
- That original sin plunged Adam into spiritual death only, and not into physical death [Genesis 2 & 3; Romans 5:12-19; Ephesians 2:13 and the Westminster Standards Chapter 6 WCF; LC # 21-29; SC # 14-19].
Whereas, these views represent an attack upon and undermining of the holy catholic faith once delivered unto the saints,
Therefore, in the certain Hope of the Resurrection, at the Second Coming of Christ, and the Final Judgment at the end of history, the Reformed Presbyterian Church General Assembly does hereby find that Full Preterism, Hyper-preterism or any other Eschatological System promoting any one or all of these errors is errant, heretical, and apostate, being therefore contrary to evangelical orthodoxy.
* Sponsored by:
Dr. Kenneth Talbot
Dr. Kenneth Gentry
Dr. Bill Higgins
Rev. Reed Best
Rev. Todd Ruddell